Amazing Brugge!

Maybe you watched the film called In Bruges in which hitman “Ray”, acted by Colin Farrell, says Brugge is a “shithole”. Well, I found this offensive Ray.

We visited Brugge on January and yes, it was so cold that no matter what I wear I kept freezing… Other than that this little town of triangle-shaped orange roofs was A-MAZ-ING.

IMG_4070
The town seen from Belfry of Brugge

After we got off our train from Ghent to Brugge, we  directly headed to our hotel, Bourgoensch hofIt is one of the most preferred hotels in Brugge due to its location and antiquity. Since it was off-season, we were able to afford it!

Yet our room was cold. Like the weather was not enough. Anyways, breakfast was included and it was enough for us in a city like Brugge which offers only a few cheap food place. Therefore, if you are planning to go to Brugge, spare a little more benjamins for food.

IMG_4060
Our hotel in Brugge

On the first day, we first went to Grote Markt since it was basically what we came for. And it did not disappoint us. The colors of these medieval buildings were so cute that they reminded me the candy house in Hansel and Gretel. Yummy! There is also a statue of Jan Breydel and Pieter de Coninck at the middle of the square surrounded by these houses, the Provincial Court and Belfry of Brugge.

So, wherever you look Brugge is ready to charm you…

IMG_4125
A phaeton at the square

Then, we went up to the tower. The entry price was cheaper than I expected because you know, places like this are generally expensive in Europe. Before climbing, you should arrange your time accordingly so that you can see how the bell rings!

In the tower, the stairs towards the bell became narrower and steeper adding an unexpected adrenaline and fun to our journey to sky. Even though, we did not think to catch the ring, we were lucky 🙂

IMG_4066
Belfry and calm streets of Brugge
IMG_4077
The view from Belfry of Brugge, the Church of Our Lady seen afar

When we were getting out of the tower, a man stopped me and started to cut something out of paper saying I have a beautiful profile. What? Really? And voila! He created a profile of mine with my beanie and what else from that paper in just 2 minutes. You can see it below 🙂

I was so impressed that I did not think of asking his name. Shame on me. And man, I can not read your signature, either!

IMG_4128
A street artist made my profile out of paper!

You need to wander in the streets of Brugge and feed your senses, believe me. Every street leads you somewhere beautiful with stone pavements and cute houses. As I say every time, please get lost. Pace slowly those streets crossing tiny bridges under which duck families fly above dark water… Feel the atmosphere Brugge spreading for you and make a lasting memory from it.

Also, beers… There is endless choice of beer from fruity to spicy ones. I tasted Floris Witte Fruitbieren, Charles Quint,  Brugse Zot, Kwak and many fruit beer whose names I cannot remember right now.

As Belgium is made of chocolate,  you do not need to ask if there are delicious chocolates in Brugge.

As for my final thoughts, Brugge which smells like cold chocolate is now among my favourite cities. I mean, who does not like chocolate-smelling cities. I want to go there back but during warmer times so that I can enjoy it fully:)

IMG_4380
Brugge Train Station

Have you been to Brugge? Did you like it? Or does this post make you want to go there?! 🙂

And is not it similar to Telc I have told you about? I always think they are twin towns!

Advertisements

25 Comments Add yours

1. Paul says:

Nice photos!

1. Thank you for your kind comment! 🙂

1. My pleasure. Remember to smile cause you are amazing

2. This definitely makes me want to go there. The profile the man made of you is really quite nice. Cheers!

Liked by 1 person

1. I am happy to make you crave for Brugge 🙂 Maybe he can make your profile as well! And thank you so much 🙂

3. Mask22 says:

That’s it, I’m going this winter!

1. Really?! I am so happy to make you friends with Brugge 🙂

1. Mask22 says:

I used to travel past all the time. Never stopped by. Funny how you never visit places on your doorstep!

Liked by 1 person

2. I know, right? I do not visit all these beautiful locations in Turkey as well. They seem somewhat easily reachable 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. We visited last year and our one regret was that we didn’t spend more time there. Beautiful. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, it definitely deserves to be explored thoroughly ! And one can not leave this place easily 🙂

5. George says:

Great pics! The movie is in fact how I knew Brugge existed and ended up visiting based on that alone 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you George 🙂 Actually, we learned Brugge’s existence thanks to the movie as well. It reveals all Brugge’s beauty and makes you want to go there!

6. George says:

Reblogged this on George Rishan and commented:
    Great post by Tugba on one of the prettiest cities of the world!

Liked by 1 person

7. This was a really lovely piece. I think everyone knows of Brugge from the movie. I always took the line as a joke because it looks a gorgeous place.
    I may have to avoid it though, I’m currently off sugar so it would be way too tempting a place to visit.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Cameron 🙂 Brugge is definitely a breathtaking place and cruel in a sense that it makes you crave some dessert whether you want it or not!

Liked by 1 person

1. Well after this piece you’ve written it’s reminded me of all the charms I saw in that movie. It’s been added to my weekend break list. Now I just need to the girl to go with me.

8. I love in Bruges this is such a funny film ! I also love the city, it’s my favourite town in Belgium, I’ve been there so many times at different season as well and always had fun.

1. Oh this is so cool! I want to go there in warmer times as well 🙂

9. Michelle Rae says:

Love that movie. And regardless of Ray’s comments, I think the movie made the city look really good and it put it on other’s radar. Brugge is definitely on my list.

1. Tugba B. says:

Yes, Ray is like a foil to Brugge, he actually highlights the beauty of the city. You should not miss Brugge, it may be your favorite one!

10. Brugge is the best. And isn’t it very difficult to write a post about Bruges and not mention the movie In Bruges or think about the Basilica of the Holy Blood scene? I can’t do it either…. haha Loving your posts. All the beer references… fantastic!